|Image Courtesy Wade M via Flickr|
I really like his definition of critical thinking. Lau identifies the 10 abilities of a critical thinker and it seems like a pretty comprehensive list to me:
- Understand the logical connections between ideas.
- Formulate ideas succinctly and precisely
- Identify, construct, and evaluate arguments.
- Evaluate the pros and cons of a decision.
- Evaluate the evidence for and against a hypothesis.
- Detect inconsistencies and common mistakes in reasoning.
- Analyze problems systematically.
- Identify the relevance and importance of ideas.
- Justify one's beliefs and values
- Reflect on the justification of one's own beliefs and values.
Obviously this is just my first take on it but I think it is worth checking out.