Friday, May 15, 2009

Summer Project: Create A Cool Persona For MCIIS! (Getpersonas.com)


Firefox has a very neat new add-on that allows you to quickly create your own "skin" for your browser. They call this feature "Personas" and your task for the summer (should you decide to accept it, Mr. Phelps...) is to create a really cool one for MCIIS.

Personas are different than "themes" with Firefox. Themes are a complete package that include customized buttons as well as backgrounds. Personas only change the background in the browser at the top and the bottom. While not as comprehensive as themes, they more than make up for it by being easy to make.

To see how this all worked, I created my own persona called "MCIIS09". You can get a sense of what it looks like in the screenshot at the top of the page and, if you want to see how it looks on your browser, you can go to the MCIIS09 page to download it.

I wanted to tap into that intel lab vibe (I know so many of you miss it already...) and I think I was successful at that. It is less successful (as you can see) with regards to functionality -- the buttons are pretty hard to make out against the rapidly alternating dark and light background image.

In short, I am sure that someone with a little more (read: any) skill in art and design can do a better job. Once you are done, send me a note and I will be happy to post a link to it on SAM!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

JackS said...

Great minds think alike! I just discovered 'personas' last night, and my first thought was to grab the mciis logo...

Kristan J. Wheaton said...

I look forward to your version of the perfect MCIIS persona!

Kris