Sunday, May 17, 2009

Live-blogging The International Security Forum!


View Larger Map

All this week I am in Geneva, Switzerland attending the International Security Forum (ISF). The ISF is a biennial conference designed to discuss "ways to increase communication and cooperation between institutions engaged in research related to international security worldwide."

The conference this year has a strong (for me, at least) intel orientation. The theme is "Coping With Global Change" and the whole first day will be dedicated to the question: which new challenges are looming over the horizon? (Uhhh...that's our job, isn't it?)

The conference has a really interesting line-up of speakers and panels. For example, Nobel Peace Prize winner, Martti Ahtisaari, and Deputy Director for Energy and Environmental Security in the Office of Intelligence and Counterintel at the Department of Energy, Carol Dumaine, will make two of the keynote speeches.

I am here as a guest of the wonderful people at The International Relations and Security Network (ISN) and The Center For Security Studies CSS, two of the many sponsors of the forum. My own modest contribution to the event is a short presentation on "Open Sources And The Death Of The Intelligence Cycle" (Yes, you read that right -- death. And if it is not dead yet, by the end of my presentation, people are going to want to kill it...).

I am going to lug my computer around with me and see if I can do a bit of live-blogging. I will probably not be able to cover most of the panels as Chatham House Rules are in effect but, as with all good European conferences, there are lengthy coffee and lunch breaks and I may be able to corner a few people and capture their insights for you.

As always when I cover these type events, if you look at the schedule and see something or someone interesting, drop me a note or post a comment and I will try to sit in on the presentation or get a few words with the speaker, at least.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Have fun, Kris. Will you be posting your presentation later?

Also, I'd be interested in hearing other participants opinions abt the prospect of a second Russia Georgia war this summer.

ethang said...

Wow! I wish I could attend your workshop, this looks amazing. Any chance there's an associated video or publications posted online?

Kristan J. Wheaton said...

Jeffrey,

I hope to post parts of my presentation as an "experimental scholarship" piece later this summer. I will keep my eyes open for insights into Georgia and Russia, though.

ethang,

I don't think so. Watch the ISF site. They took millions of pictures and there was a press event for the key note speakers so there might be some reporting on the event. With Chatham house rules in effect, though, I don't think there will be any video or other on the record versions of the event.

Kris